St Mary-at-Hill has served in the Parish of Billingsgate for nearly a thousand years. An “ancient church” on this site is mentioned in a legal document dated 1177, so we can conjecture with some certainty that a church dedicated to St Mary the Virgin has stood here since at least the end of the 11th Century.
Following a fire in 1988 the church was restored. The interior fittings were badly damaged and removed creating a large open space without pews.
We have a new permanent exhibition 'Faith, Fire and Fish' which tells the story of this lovely Wren church.