Facilities and features
Click on the tags below to learn more about each.
Free parking is available for all services.
Our wonderful church was built in 1190, please visit our website to find out more about the History of our church and it's connection to Benjamin Disraeli.
Music and Worship
Bellringing practice is held on Tuesday Evenings at 7.30pm. Please contact the Parish Administrator if you would like more details.
The earliest account of an organ in the church tells us that an organ was built in October 1864 by Messrs. J. W. Walker and Sons for the sum of £115. It had one manual and pedals and the stops were Bourdon 16', Open Diapason 8', Dulciana 8', Stopped Diapason 8', Principal 4', and a Sub Bass 16' for the pedals taken from the Bourdon.
In 1882 the Hughenden Memorial Fund, commemorating Benjamin Disraeli, paid for a new organ (the “Memorial Organ”) which was dedicated on Easter Day of that year. The organ was now an instrument of two manuals and pedals and cost £360 plus a further £5 to decorate the front pipes.
The pipework of the 1864 organ together with additions was incorporated into the rebuild of 1882. The work was again carried out by Messrs. J. W. Walker and Sons and represents a fine example of their workmanship at that period. Such was the quality of the pipework that it was not necessary to make any tonal alterations in the 1979 rebuild.
By the mid 1970s the 1882 action was beginning to show serious signs of wear as well as becoming very heavy and it was clear that is wasn’t going to stand up to the heavy demands being made upon it. A restoration appeal for £14,000 was launched in December 1977 with the Rt. Hon. Edward Heath, M.B.E., M.P. as Patron and within a year sufficient money was raised for much of the work to be carried. Messrs. Hill, Norman & Beard were given the contract and the work commenced mid April 1979 and was complete by mid August.
A new electro-pneumatic action replaced the tracker action and minor tonal alterations were made, but care was taken not to destroy the tonal character of what has always been a splendid instrument. Electric action meant that extension of the pipework was possible, and reference to the new specification shows how this was achieved.
A gem of this rebuild was the addition of the Nason Flute on the Swell Organ. The 56 pipes for this stop cost £600 including the installation, and was paid for by specific donations for the cost of a pipe from individuals and families. These pipes came from the organ now in the Church of St. Peter ad Vincula, in the Tower of London, the organ having been moved there in the late 19th Century from the Banqueting House at Whitehall when this establishment was granted to the Royal United Service Institution as a museum. It is therefore possible, although not certain, that these pipes were made by the famous organ builder ‘Father’ Bernard Smith for the organ which he built for the Banqueting House in 1699.
We have a regular Choir at our 9am morning service (a traditional service) and a Worship Band for our 10.45am Family Services (more contemporary style)
Groups, Courses and Activities
We offer an Alpha Course from 25th September 2019 which is held at Church House, HP14 4LA from 7pm until 9pm weekly until the 27th November 2019. If you are interested in attending Alpha, please contact our Parish Administrator, Lynn Brooks on 07928536543
Meets every Thursday (During Term-time only), in the North Room from 9.30am until 11.30am.
With a Tiny Tots Church Service held every third Thursday of the month at 10.30am
Help for Visitors
There are many helpful leaflets within our Church.
St. Michael's & All Angels is open to the general public during daylight hours.
At the south west corner of the churchyard is a range of buildings known as Church House. In pre-reformation days this site was occupied by a small religious house for six monks and a prior. Between the Reformation and Queen Anne’s time it may have served as the house for the parish priest. At the beginning of the nineteenth century Church House was converted by Countess Lady Conyngham into three almshouses, with a fourth reserved for the parish clerk. In 1927, the advent of Old Age Pensions having made its former use unnecessary, Major Conyngsby Disraeli bought the cottages with a view to making them into a parish hall.When work began a number of long beams were discovered, and the work which started as a conversion job quickly developed into a work of restoration on which Major Disraeli would allow only a small group of expert craftsmen to be employed. Major Disraeli undertook much careful research to ensure the accuracy of the restoration, and the building now closely resembles its pre-reformation appearance.
Church House is now much used by the church for Church House Teas, Junior Church and outside bookings. To book Church House contact the parish administrator.