St Lukes, is one of two churches in the parish of Weaste, Seedley & Langworthy, which is part of the Salford All Saints Team Ministry.
The historic parish church of St Luke (Grade 2*) and the brand new Emmanuel Church - an Anglican-Methodist LEP - serve this diverse residential area that extends from Buile Hill Park to the edge of the Salford Quays, with an established local community and many new residents drawn to this exciting area.
St Luke’s Church is Grade 2* listed, which puts it among the top 10% of buildings in England. Prominent because of its position and its slender, continental-style spire, it stands on a small green hill beside Liverpool Street – and is known locally as “the church on the hill”. The main service is at 10 am on Sunday mornings, and most newcomers find the congregation friendly and welcoming. Inside the church’s most spectacular feature is the decorated roof over the chancel, and it is blessed with a fine organ. Just down the hill is the Parish Hall, which is home to a huge range of community groups and activities – and to cups of tea after every service!
St Luke’s Primary School, formerly on Eccle New Road, is highly praised for its academic standards and caring ethos, has now moved to a new building on Weaste Lane, opposite Buile Hill Park
Our magazine accepts advertising, contact us for details
A brief history of the building-
The church, designed by the famous Victorian architect George Gilbert Scott, was opened in 1865. In 1878 a chapel in memory of Edward Tootal, one of the early benefactors, was added to the East end of the north aisle. The church was redecorated and reordered in the 1920s, but since then it has remained largely unchanged.
It is richly endowed with stained glass, and the windows in the Tootal Chapel (now known as the Lady Chapel) are undoubtedly the best. They are fine examples of the early work of Charles Eamer Kempe, and display exceptional vitality and originality of design.
Equally rich are the church’s links with history. There are visible signs of this in the memorial plaques on the walls to local heroes of the South African War and First World War and the remarkable War Memorial built into one of the window bays on the south wall.
There is, however, no visible sign of the part the church played in a life that has had an enormous impact on today’s world. In 1879 a local girl called Emmeline Goulden married reforming lawyer Richard Marsden Pankhurst at St Luke’s – and became the famous Mrs Pankhurst.
"The parish of Weaste, Seedley and Langworthy is committed to the safeguarding of children, young people and adults. We follow the House of Bishops guidance and policies and have our own Parish Safeguarding Officer(s), PSOs. The Diocese of Manchester’s safeguarding pages contain vital links and information including contacts for the Diocesan Safeguarding Advisor (DSA) who advise our PSOs. If you are concerned that a child or adult has been harmed or may be at risk of harm please contact the DSA. If you have immediate concerns about the safety of someone, please contact the police and your local authority Children or Adults Services."