St Peter’s Church was built in 1849, on the site of an ancient farm on the edge of Belmont Village with views up to Winter Hill, and consecrated by the Bishop of Manchester in 1850
The church is built in neo-gothic style, popular in Victorian England, with a strong vertical emphasis in the internal design with sharply pointed arches.
In 2010 we celebrated our 160th anniversary with a major exhibition and the publishing of a book on the first 50 years of the church (see side panel for link).
Today, St Peter’s is one of 13 Churches in the Bolton Deanery of Walmsley and one of 6 churches in the Turton Moorland Ministry. The congregation consists of a wide age group drawn from the village and surrounding area.
The church has a lively Sunday School and a number of weekday activities including Mothers' Union and Over Sixties Club and has good links with local uniformed groups for young people. We have a new kitchen for serving after service refreshments and a disabled and parent-friendly toilet. Visitors are always made very welcome.
We publish a bi-monthly magazine, The Pages, which is distributed freely to all households in the Parish and also can be read on-line (see the side panel for a link).