We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
The first "Church" on this site was built by Wilfrid, Bishop of Hexham in 704 A.D. and whilst it is not known how many times the church was rebuilt after the invasions of the Scots and the Danes, the greater part of the present church was built in 1764 by Sir Walter Blackett of Wallington. The eleventh century Saxon arch, connecting the nave with the base of the tower is the oldest surviving part of the building and many of the stones forming the arch are Roman. The Chancel owes its present appearance to the Reverend Cruddas who was vicar from 1867-95 and reflects revived interest in medieval architecture. The church tower has four successive stages the bottom stage probably being the oldest Saxon Tower in Northumberland.
The church remains open at weekends through the summer for visitors.
A colour booklet detailing the history of the church is available on request.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below