We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
St Martin's Church in Byker was founded in 1933. It was a daughter church of St Michael and All Angels, Byker (sometimes known as Byker Parish Church). As the fields between Byker and Walker were filled with houses, a red brick parish hall was constructed at the junction between Welbeck Road and Roman Avenue. This served as a meeting place for the local community and as a place for worship.
In 1976 St Martin's became a parish in its own right. Pews were imported and the downstairs kitchen was replaced by a vestry. By the end of the 1990s the future of St Martin's was uncertain, Byker had severely depopulated and the congregation had fallen in number with very few children and families.
Nevertheless members of the PCC were determined to find a future and in 2000 formed a number of working groups to look at the future of the parish.
In 2006 a fabulous new facility located in the east end of Newcastle was finished. Officially opened on July 15th 2006, St Martins Centre is a church and community centre.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below