St Wilfrid's is a simple but beautiful fourteenth century building in Decorated style, altered in 1771-8 (when the west gable, porch and bell cope were added by Sir William Loraine) and in 1884. There are three medieval sedilia in the south wall of the chancel and a piscina with a projecting basin. The fifteenth- or sixteenth- century font, which bears the arms on each of its eight sides of old Northumbrian families, was rescued from the medieval church of All Saints, Newcastle.
The great gardener Lancelot (Capability) Brown was born here and baptised in St Wilfrid's on 30th August 1716. There is a monument to him in the nave. (With thanks to Geoffrey Purves - Churches of Newcastle and Northumberland)
The Loraine Room in the nearby Kirkharle Courtyard is an excellent venue for a day retreat or Parish day.
With the help of numerous grants, much work has been done on this important church structurally and a proper modern heating system has been installed. More services and concerts etc will now be able to take place.