Welcome to St. Helen’s Church Longhorsley
For more information about our church, our worship and other activities please select one of the menu items above or to the right.
The Norman church, now in ruins although the churchyard is still in use, is half a mile south of Longhorsley village and possibly replaced a wooden Saxon building. The earliest record of a vicar here is from 1299.
In 1783 the church was entirely rebuilt on the old foundations. It was a plain structure, the main feature being an attractive trefoil chancel arch. Lack of facilities and the need for extensive renovation made it necessary to abandon it in 1966.
The old Church of England school in the village (West Road) was then taken over, adapted, and is now the church. It was built in 1848.
In 1981 the porch of the old church was dismantled and rebuilt on the west end and is now the main entrance.
In 2010 the interior of the church was remodelled to create a separate meeting room. These pictures show the church before it was remodelled
and these pictures were taken after the remodelling was completed.
Photographs of the beautiful handmade kneelers in our church can be seen here