A church has existed in this location since about 1290 and may appear in older records as dedicated to St Mary the Virgin or Thomas Becket. The church is built of limestone and ironstone and has been extensively repaired and reshaped over the centuries. A spire was added in 1847 at which time a peal of bells cast in Loughborough were added. Repairs and further expansion were undertaken in 1877, with wooden pews being added in 1907. In 1970 the Sansome family contributed a beautiful stained glass window to the east, above the altar.
Amongst the many local people to have been married in our church is William Carey, the famous Baptist missionary.