BRIEF HISTORY OF ST PETER'S
A BEACON OF LIGHT IN THE DARK AGES.
Built in 680AD the church of St Peter's in Titchfield has been a place of worship for over 1300 years although for a time
Titchfield Abbey ,built in 1232,was of greater importance.
Henry V1 chose the abbey for his wedding ,and it was visited by Richard 11 ,and by Henry V on his way to Agincourt.
SIGN OF PERMANENCE IN THE REFORMATION.
The Church suffered some depreciation during the reformation empty niches show where the statues of saints
once stood,and some stained glass was removed.
The Abbey was made into a stately home by the first Earl of Southampton, who named it Place House.
It welcomed a number of Royal Visitors- Edward V1 , Elizabeth1,Charles1,and Queen Henrietta Maria.
A FOCAL POINT IN THE 21STCENTUARY
St Peter's Servives as the jewel in Titchfields Crown and is one of the oldet buildings in the country in daily use.
The lower portion of the tower and the southwest corner is Saxon, probably the oldest piece of ecclesiastical
Masonry remaining in Hampshire.
The Original Saxon Church was extended in Norman Times and the Norman Doorway is a fine example from
the later part of the 12th Century.
The Southampton Chapel contains the magnificent monument to the Earl's of Southampton.
The Church was further extended during the Elizabethan era, in Victorian times and at the end of the 20th Century.
It is a place of Piety and joy where worshippers and visitors alike enjoy the sense of peace endangered by
countless hosts of people who have celebrated their christian faith here.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO WELCOMING YOU TO St Peter's Church Titchfield