All Saints Church at East Meon is described by Pevsner as ‘one of the most thrilling village churches in Hampshire’.
The size and majesty of the original Norman building, completed in about 1150, reflected the importance of East Meon parish in mediaeval times. This was cruciform in shape, consisting of nave, chancel and transepts, and its original form is still clearly identifiable in the round-topped Norman arches or Romanesque style in the West and South doorways. The only major addition, made in about 1230, was the South Aisle and Lady Chapel - in the new Early English style with pointed arches and larger windows. The spire was also probably added at this time.
The most recent addition is a fine adjacent Church Hall completed in 2000. Although designed in sympathy with the church’s Norman appearance, this palpably modern building demonstrates our determination to meet the needs of a 21st Century community. Inside the people of East Meon are wonderfully represented in a magnificent Millennium Embroidery depicting the village in the year 2000. The work of a parish team of forty skilled needle-workers, it took several years to complete before its installation in 2008.