St John's is a small chapel built in 1869 on the site of its medieval predecessor, founded in 1109. The architect was W H Crossland of Leeds, and the chapel is built in sandstone in the late pointed style. It is a very simple space, with an apsidal chancel and attractive east windows . The chapel has a peaceful and welcoming atmosphere.
The congregation varies between 16 and 24 with a warm, welcoming and even intimate feel to our services. The weekly service is Common Worship at 10.45am, and fairly traditional - but we are informal and relaxed in our worship and fellowship. The 10.45am service on a first Sunday is Creative Worship, suitable for a wide age range with more informality and often an activity.
St John's is a local community church, with large numbers of baptisms and funerals, we are also available for Weddings.
Our vision is for a building which is engaged with the community throughout the week, and which is regarded as community space, not just as the 'funeral church' in Bondgate. In June 2015 we held a Celebration Service led by the Dean of the cathedral and Bishop James, Area Bishop of Ripon, to mark the reopening of the chapel after undergoing a major refurbishment. The chapel now has underfloor heating, new lighting, and comfortable chairs, giving a warm, safe and welcoming worship space. Bookings are now being taken for one off or regular events.