About Us

Thurcroft Church History

 Thurcroft came into being as a village after 1909 with the sinking of the local pit, (although the first official record of a settlement at Thurcroft was 1319) and there soon arose the need for a village church. 

 In 1915 the start of the church known as Thurcroft Mission Church began, held in a room at New Orchard Farm. 

 Eventually church members bought a wooden hut which cost £48.  On 28th October 1917, the dedication of the Mission Church took place. 

 In July 1921 a new church building made of wood was erected, it was completed in 1922 and named St Simon and St Jude (Later to be used as the Church Hall until it was demolished in 1995).

 In 1935 the Diocesan Church Extension Committee resolved to build a new church and £2,000 was allocated. By agreement of the Rother Vale Colliery Company (owners of Thurcroft Pit) and the Church Commissioners, a brand new church building was costructed with the foundation stone being laid on 2nd October 1937.  The Colliery Company donated £25,000 to the cost.

 The Church opened for worship on 1st July 1939. 

 On 23rd May 1948 the church became a Parish Church in it's own right having previously been within the Parish of Laughton-en-le-Morthen. 

 Between 1948-1965 the Vicars of Thurcroft also served The Parish of Ulley while they had no incumbant.

In recent years Thurcroft was in partnership with Maltby 2009-2021 with Laughton-en-le-Morthen joining in 2018.  

Since 2022 Thurcroft has been in partnership with St Leonard’s Church in Dinnington sharing services and activities together.