Please see safeguarding page for safeguarding information
Welcome to All Saints Elston
Elston All Saints is one of seven churches in our group. The others are St Oswald's East Stoke, All Saints Syerston, St Peter's Sibthorpe, St Mary and All Saints Shelton, St Mary's Staunton and St Mary's Kilvington
There cannot be very many residents of Elston who haven’t at one time or another been inside, it is usually unlocked dawn until dusk every day. An ancient building, it stands proudly as the village's oldest structure at the centre of the village.
Its close association with All Saints Elston Anglican Methodist Church School means that over many years children have visited it for regular school services and other occasions. Walkers strolling through the village have visited as they go by. Its dignified interior reflects a past record of Elston’s history through the centuries in the shape of its varied architecture, beautiful stained glass windows, wall-mounted tablets and war memorials.
But of course its prime purpose through the centuries has been to act as a consecrated place for acts of worship celebrating the passing seasons, and to provide a calm and dignified place for those significant occasions in peoples’ lives such as baptisms, marriages and funerals when we all need to get in touch with our spiritual side.
To communicate to young and old, it is open to all and it offers to everyone a warm welcome. To this end we have introduced a less formal morning All Age Worship which takes place on the fourth Sunday of each month at 10.30 am, on the 2nd Sunday in the month we have 6.00 pm Evening Prayer and on the 1st or 3rd Sunday's this maybe 8.30am BCP Holy Communion or 10.30 morning worship. We would love to see you! Any time!
Introduction to the history
There is no mention of a church here in Elston in Domesday.
The tall, slim, only slightly buttressed 13th century tower appears to be the oldest part of the building. The church is of stone, in Gothic style, consisting of a chancel, nave with arcades of 4 bays, north and south aisles and an embattled west tower with pinnacles, clock and 6 bells.
The Perpendicular clerestory and aisles were restored in 1827, 1859 and 1882. In 1859 the chancel was renovated and fitted with oak stalls and an organ.
Visitors often come to see the mural monuments to the Darwin family. (Also some for the Lascelles.) Several are by Wallis of Newark (1789-1816); and three by Tyley of Bristol, for 3 Darwin children who died aged 13, 14 and 15 in the 1830s, are of good quality, as is the tablet to Elizabeth Hill Darwin, (d1827) by Taylor of York.
There are several memorial windows: the stained east window for F Darwin’s wife (d1886), another for R A Darwin in the north wall of the chancel (d1888) and three more inserted by Mrs Darwin in 1913
For full history please go to: