We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
As of 1st February 2009 the church at Flawborough is officially closed for worship. The parish of Flawborough is now part of Staunton parish and the parish church for Flawborough residents is now St. Mary Staunton.
* * * * *
Domesday Book records a church and a priest in Staunton, then called 'Stanton' but which afterwards has been called Staunton-in-the-Vale or simply 'Staunton'.
The church comprises a wide nave and north aisle, a south porch, cancel and north vestry and tower positioned at the north-east angle between nave and chancel. The core of the nave fabric probably dates from the 12th century, attested by the over restored south doorway; There is also a font dating from 12th century with intersecting arches. The north aisle piers date from 14th century and may possibly have been built after the will of Sir William Staunton made in 1312 where it stated that '...he gave liberally to ... the church and poor in his own town ...'.
The unusually positioned tower appears to be largely 14th century and has puzzling archaeological anomalies. Between nave and chancel is a rood screen from 1519.
There was a major restoration in 1853-4 by Edward Willson of Lincoln when the chancel, the nave south and west walls, and the south porch were rebuilt.
The church also contains interesting crusader monuments to the Stauntons dating from 13th and 14th centuries.
'The Church History Project - Our Churches' a comprehensive guide to the churches of Southwell & Nottingham Diocese (2013)
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below