Thorpe: St Laurence
During the coronavirus crisis please check our "Services and events" and "News and notices" pages for ways that we can worship while staying in our homes as required by the authorities.
St. Laurence's is a small rural church heavily renovated in 1873-7 but with its original 13th century tower intact. Of interest are a stone font, probably Norman, but made up of fragments of uncertain date, and an effigy of Lady Margaret de Thorpe whose husband, Sir William, fought at Crecy in 1346 and was the first English Governor of Calais.
The east window depicts St Laurence and is in memory of the Rev'd Andrew Ping, a former rector. The chancel window is in memory of John Wood, son of a former rector who was killed in the South African war. There is also a bronze plaque from his colleagues at Smith’s Bank (now NatWest), Newark, thought to be one of only two memorials in the country to a serviceman of rank lower than an officer.
The parish of Farndon w Thorpe is committed to the safeguarding of children, young people and adults. We follow the House of Bishops guidance and policies and have our own Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO).
Full details are on our "Safeguarding" page.