Christian Church, Landmark and Historical Place
We are open for worship at 10:00 am on Sunday mornings
You are welcome to join us for any or all of our services
Kirkby in Ashfield
We provide a range of activities for those within church, on the fringes, and outside the church. The congregation include some who have attended the church for decades, and those newer in the faith. We are generally very accepting and loving, and seek to integrate all, whatever their background or abilities, into church life.
Significant population growth due to the increase of coal mining in the area, saw east Kirkby quickly become larger than the original village, and in 1901 we were formed into a separate ecclesiastical parish.
The striking building and landmark is mainly brick, and was built in 1903 on land given by the Duke of Portland and designed by Louis Ambler.
It consists of a nave, chancel, narrow north and south aisles, two diminutive towers either side of the wide west entrance, and a north-east porch. The Lady Chapel in the north-east corner was designed by E Watkinson in 1936.
There is a hammerbeam roof. The arcades are supported by stone columns and the stone chancel arch bears carved heads, as do the corbels. In the chancel is a good mosaic tile floor, a hanging rood, four painted angels on the roof beams and the four Evangelists on corbels. There is a carved oak pulpit and reredos with riddel posts. The choir stalls have poppyheads.
The east window of stained glass has five lights, a First World War memorial. The only other stained glass is a portrait of St Mary in the Lady Chapel. Either side of the nave are five windows of four lights each in clear glass.
There is one wall monument to Rupert Alexis Rickett, killed in action, 1916.
The south tower contains one bell by John Taylor & Co of Loughborough. The organ is by Wadsworth Brothers of Manchester.