The present church dates from 1758, but records show that there has been a church in Morton since medieval times. The church is dedicated to St Denis, the patron saint of France (patron festival: 9th October). The village of Morton, which was mentioned in the Domesday Book, is located three miles from Southwell and today consists of about 62 houses, having virtually doubled in size over the last 50 years. The parish extends to around 498 acres (just over three quarters of a square mile).
In 1982, St Denis has been part of a United Benefice with St Peter & St Paul, Upton and with Holy Trinity, Rolleston-with-Fiskerton.
St Denis became part of the West Trent Group of churches in 2016 and in June 2017 this became the Benefice of West Trent.