Church of England Diocese of Southwell & Nottingham Bulwell

Facilities and features

Click on the tags below to learn more about each.

Accessibility

Ground floor toilets, including facilities for the disabled

Baby Changing Facilities

The car park is up the drive, to the left of the church.

There is a toilet for the disabled.

A defibrillator is available in the north aisle.

There is a level entrance to the south porch, and ramped access to the Upper Hall on the north side

Hearing (induction) Loop

Large print service books, Bibles and hymn books are available for use.

Assistance dogs are welcome.

St Mary's has a Mental Health Champion.


Our Building

The present building is Grade II listed. The original church in Bulwell was medieval. It is believed to have been built in 1134 but there is no firm evidence for this. A church in Bulwell is mentioned in 1203 when it was given by the King to Rott de Pickering for life. In the 1760s, extensive rebuilding of the church took place. Two aisles were added in 1766 and a rectory was built in 1772. A wall was built around the churchyard and a gallery was added. In 1800, the tile roof was replaced with slate and a tower was raised. In the late 1840s it was decided to demolish the old church and build a new one. This work was started in 1850 and completed in 1851. The new building was consecrated by the Bishop of Lincoln. The church was designed by the Derby architect Henry Isaac Stevens and built at a cost £3000. The church included a chancel, nave, aisles, and an embattled west tower. Only two of the three bells of the old church survived. These were recast by Taylor of Loughborough and are part of a set of six bells that were installed in 1860. The octagonal pulpit was installed in 1891. It is made of Caen stone, with small pillars of Derbyshire marble. In 1899 a dedicated organ chamber was built at the east end of the south aisle. In 1900 a reredos made of alabaster was placed behind the altar. A new baptistery was built in 1956 and a new canopy was constructed for the font. In the 1960s a number of improvements were made including an electrical heater, new oak altar rails, a vestry door and chancel paving. In 1964 a reredos was donated for the altar in St George's Chapel by Stanley and Olive Thomas. It is the work of Robert Thompson, the well known 'Mouseman' of Kilburn in North Yorkshire.


Music and Worship

There is a fine ring of 8 bells. The Tower Captain is Mr Robert Naylor, who can be contacted on 0115 916 1787.

The church building has excellent acoustics and is a sought after venue for brass bands, organ recitals, jazz bands etc.

The present organ dates from 1872, and was made by the firm of Forster & Andrews. It has occupied several positions in the Church over the last 145 years but is now situated in a chamber on the southern side of the Chancel. It originally had two manuals and pedals, with 22 speaking stops and couplers, but in 2005 a large bequest made it possible to overhaul the instrument and enlarge it to have three manuals with pedals and 37 speaking stops, benefitting from an increased range of couplers as well as a piston control system. The work was carried out by Jonathan Wallace and his team from Henry Groves and Son Ltd., of Nottingham. It is now regarded by many as being of cathedral standard, and frequent recitals and concerts are given deploying the full capability of the instrument. There is currently a team of three organists playing for the Church’s range of services, led by Michael Anthony.

There is a regular service of Holy Communion (Book of Common Prayer) 8.45am on the first Sunday of the month. Vestments are worn and there is a brief homily. The service takes place in the chancel.

Regular Choir

Groups, Courses and Activities

Youth Group
Nurture Courses
Alpha course
Beavers
Brownies

St Mary's is open from 10am - 12pm every Tuesday for people to come in and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee, meet with friends and chat, or just to sit and relax in the peaceful atmosphere of this beautiful building. A simple Eucharist is held at 11.30am for half an hour. Vestments are worn and there is a brief homily. Why not stop off on your way past the church? All are welcome.

Cubs

St Mary's has a Mental Health Champion.

Messy Church meets every second Sunday of the month 3-5pm. Messy Church is for all the family, and comprises a time for arts & crafts, followed by an informal God slot and a meal.

Parents and toddlers
Rainbows
Scouts
Youth work

Help for Visitors

Guided Tours
Guidebooks / Notes

St Mary's is open from 10am - 12pm every Tuesday for people to come in and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee, meet with friends and chat, or just to sit and relax in the peaceful atmosphere of this beautiful building. A simple Eucharist is held at 11.30am for half an hour. Vestments are worn and there is a brief homily. Why not stop off on your way past the church? All are welcome.


Other Features

FairTrade
Audio-Visual Facilities
Urban Priority Area

The Western Room and Upper Hall can be used for a reasonable donation