We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
The village of Wrenthorpe originally formed part of the parish of Alverthorpe and a walled-up doorway in St. Paul’s Church was known as ‘t’Wrenthorpe door’ and it is significant that during the past few years the two churches have worked together far more than at any previous time.
Work on St. Anne’s Church commenced in April 1873 and the consecration took place a year later. It cost £1,500.
Wrenthorpe, in those days, was a working-class mining village and in no way prosperous. And yet £750 was raised towards the cost of the church before building had started, and over those early years many appeals for such things as a new organ, heating system and many repairs were generously met.
The ‘Children’s Corner’ was dedicated in 1929, the original font was replaced in 1949 — Major reordering took place in 1990 and 1993. This changed the chancel area from its traditional setting into a more contemporary style. In 2010 the old pews were replaced with upholstered chairs
121 Wrenthorpe Road
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below