St John the Baptist, Itchen Abbas
Itchen Abbas together with Easton, Avington & Martyr Worthy is part of the Parish of the Itchen Valley.
Full details of all the churches and our services can be found at http://www.itchenvalleychurches.org.uk/
We look forward to seeing you.
Although the church has been a centre of worship since Norman times and probably earlier, the present building dates from 1862. It is primarily a stone, flint and tile building of that period but it incorporates the original Norman Chancel Arch.
It has been described as “a modest but thoroughly realized work of the Romanesque Revival …. with the character of the building as a cruciform plan”. It is that cruciform shape and magnificent barrel vaulted roof that are the features which have governed the reordering project carried out in 2009.
Features of this work have been the completion of a new vestry with kitchen and wc facilities; the replacement of all pews and choir stalls with chairs on carpet; a new electronic organ; a much enlarged gallery and improved access for disabled people. The church now seats over 160 people. It was reconsecrated by Bishop Trevor on 26th June 2009.
St John the Baptist is the second largest church in the parish and the only one to enjoy both a flexible layout and kitchen and wc facilities. Its proximity to the large modern Itchen Abbas and Avington Village Hall makes it popular for weddings. Its services and uses are being planned to reflect these advantages with concerts proposed as part of its ongoing reordering celebrations.