St. Lawrence Church has been a centre for worship since 1070. The Church is a Grade 1 listed building and it is notable for the range of its architecture reflecting the history of the building and of the town. The church was the site of the Battle of Alton during the English Civil War. In 2011, the Church won the John Ambrose architecture award for its innovative "pod".
The church welcomes worshippers to its Sunday and week-day services, which are planned to appeal to all ages and stages of discipleship. St. Lawrence has a strong musical tradition with a peal of bells and a fine organ.
It is popular for baptisms and weddings and has marked the rites of passage for many Altonians over the years.
Since 1st January 2010, St. Lawrence has been part of The Parish of the Resurrection, Alton. There are four Anglican Churches in this parish. We are in Covenant with Alton Methodist Church as the Greater Alton Project (GAP).