The Church of St. John the Evangelist was consecrated in 1883, having been converted from an Elizabethan barn in 1872. It was linked with St. Michael’s Church, Cropthorne, in a united benefice in 1923 before both parish churches became part of a wider united benefice with churches in the villages of Fladbury, Hill & Moor and Wyre Piddle across the River Avon in 1998.
Following a serious fire in the church in May 1985, the village community responded positively and the repaired church was rededicated in November 1986.
This restoration and subsequent major repair work demonstrated the strength of the church community.
<span style="font-size: 1rem;">There is an adjacent former ‘school room’ available, with toilet facility and kitchen, approached from the church through a ‘community garden’ created as a project between the church and village communities.</span>
The church in Charlton is a central part of the local social events in the village, especially in connection with events to raise funds for the church and the Old School Room which jointly support each other, thanks to the local Victorian benefactor, Joseph Workman