St Wilfrid's, Monk Fryston and St Mary's, South Milford are Church of England parishes. We look to serve the community and share the love of Christ.
Our focus is on sharing the love of God with each other and our community through discipleship, outreach and varied worship styles.
All are welcome, no matter where they are on the faith journey with the hope that they will find friendship, fellowship and Jesus.
The Church of St Mary, South Milford was consecrated on November 25th, 1846 by the then Bishop of Ripon. The parish was formed from that of neighbouring Sherburn-in-Elmet. The land for the church was donated by University Collage, Oxford and additional land by Benjamin Crosland of Milford House.
The church was built by Benjamin Bulmer of Thorp Arch using limestone from nearby Huddleston Quarry. The costs were partly funded by
two sisters from Parlington Hall, Mary Isabella and Elizabeth Gascoigne.
The first rector was the Rev'd Frederick Young (see the picture in Photo Album, who held the parish living for 49 years. A memorial window to his wife Georgina is on the south side of the church and there is a window dedicated to the Rev'd Young himself on the opposite side.
The rectory opposite the church was opened in 1866 and sold to a private buyer in 1966 when a new rectory was built further down Westfield Lane. This was also sold in 1985 when a joint benefice was created with that of neighbouring Monk Fryston with a new rectory located in Hillam.
Today the church is central to the community with a full calendar of events. To find out what is on visit: bit.ly/wandm-calendar