We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
The name of Dalby indicates that it was a Danish settlement and the Domesday Book notes that there was a mill in the village in 1054. Our Church is in the original village of Dalby which was evacuated after the plague in 1665 to the nearby villages of Skewsby & Whenby. Hence we need the bells to “Call Parishioners to Church.
The first Rector was installed on 10th July 1233, the Patrons being the Abbot and Community of St. Mary’s York holding in custody for the heirs of one Alani de Flamvill. It was grade 1 listed in 1960.
The Church consists of a nave, choir and South porch. The early 13th century part of the church consisted of a nave and chancel and of these the East, West and South walls remain standing. The South door is original In the 15th century the North wall was rebuilt, the Western buttresses added and the West window inserted.
The chancel was rebuilt entirely in the 15th century and the East window was inserted at this time. The South porch and the two windows in the South nave wall were added later.
The chancel arch with adjoining wall is early 13th century. The chancel itself is a unique structure in this part of the country. It was built about 1400 with side walls 4 feet thick and a plain pointed barrel vault which curves up without a break from the wall faces.
Externally the walls are finished with an embattled parapet.
On the North wall of the nave there are the remains of writings. There is evidence that the murals are of at least 3 periods. The most recent consists of a Table of Commandments dated 15th Century. This evidentially replaced an earlier Table of Commandments in Gothic script and is of Elizabethan times. It was apparently placed to deface the medieval paintings. Further investigation is required to determine the full extent of the writings on both the North wall of the nave and on the wall over the chancel arch and to the right of the altar.
St Peter’s Church is very fortunate to have a Henry Willis organ built during the second half of the 19th Century by the London builder, “Father” Henry Willis. He made a number of these small organs, sometimes referred to as “Scudamore organs” after a design by the Rev. J Baron of Upton Scudamore.
Dalby near Skewsby & Terrington
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below