The church is situated on Church Drive and is next door to the village school. Services are held each Sunday at 9.30 am.
The church is a Grade 1 listed building dedicated to St Mary, her statue is situated in the niche above the porch door. There may have been a building here in 1086 as a clerk was recorded in the Domesday survey. The church is mainly built with Holderness cobbles but there is also medieval brickwork and white veined limestone from Tadcaster. A few traces of the 12th century building remain mainly in the small doorway in the south of the chancel. The church was extended in the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries and the tower was repaired in about 1720. By the middle of the 19th century the building was in a very poor state and by 1884 major restoration work began. The chancel vesry, choir stalls, reredos and pews all date from this period. In the latter part of the 20th century the chancel was retiled, the nave relit and some of the windows were releaded. Restoration work at the west end of the building took place in the early 21st century when a kitchen and toilet were installed. Two medieval brasses are under carpets in the chancel, one of Sir John Quintin and his wife Laura and a smaller one of William Darrell, a rector of the village, is thought to be the only bracket brass in the East Riding. The large east window in the chancel was designed by W S Weatherly in 1906 and the window depicting the parable of the sower was commissioned by the Mewburn family in 1959 and designed by Harry Harvey. The larger of the two bells was cast in about 1390 and the smaller one, which chimes the hours and quarters, was cast by Thomas Lester in London in 1754. Thirty two allied airmen and thirteen German air crew lie in war graves on the west side of the church yard.