St Lawrence Church Elsternwick
A warm welcome awaits you at St Lawrence’s Church, which is part of the Benefice of Burstwick, Burton Pidsea, Halsham, Humbleton with Elsternwick and Thorngumbald. We are a small church with just 8 members on the church Electoral role. However the tiny church is often full at special services such as Mothering Sunday, Harvest and the Carol Service, when the Methodists and families from the village join our worship.
The church building itself is a small grade II listed building dedicated to St. Lawrence in 1386 and was completely restored in 1875. The pipe organ was installed in 1903. There are two stained glass windows one to the East and one to the West. The church is a Chapelry annexed to Humbleton. In 2000 a vestry, sacristy, porch and disabled toilet was added to the Church which is a great advantage when there is a baptism, wedding, funeral or social event. The Community Hall formerly the Methodist Chapel is a few hundred yards from the Church, and is frequently used by the church for its social activities.
Elsternwick is a scattered rural area of farming, business people, commuters and retired people with a population of approximately 143.
(Confused by the spellings? The Church and Chapel spelling is Elsternwick, The East Riding of Yorkshire Council, Parish Council and The Royal Mail is Elstronwick)