St. Michael's Safeguarding.
St Michael and All Angels’ Church, Holderness Road, Hull
SAFEGUARDING POLICY & PROCEDURES
PROMOTING A SAFER CHURCH
The following policy & procedures were agreed at the Parochial Church Council (PCC)
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
• Promoting a safer environment and culture.
• Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
• Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
• Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
• Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
• Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
• Create a safe and caring place for all.
• Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
• Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
• Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
• Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs. These can be found in the porch, parish notice board and church hall.
• Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
• Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
• Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
• Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
• Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place, reviewed annually and ensure they are suitable and sufficient to create a safe environment for all.
• Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community (paid or volunteer) will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
York YO1 9PP
Telephone: 01904 623487
Email: [email protected]
Archdeacon of the East Riding
The Venerable Andy Broom
27 Molescroft Road
Telephone: 01482 881659
Email: [email protected]
St. Michaels Safeguarding Officer
Telephone: 01482 707680