The church is the second one to serve the Harwood Dale community and the ruins of the old church(built in 1634 and abandoned in 1862) can be found near Chapel Farm, on the road to Helwath and Whitby. The present church is Early English Gothic style. The nave is rectangular with a semicircular chancel, a porch on the south side and a vestry on the north. In the chancel are three small windows each depicting Salvator Mundi, St Peter, and St Margaret. At the west end is a small tower with one bell. Outside, near to the porch is a small stone font, possibly removed from the old church. On the lych-gate is a list of 24 men who served in the Great War, 1914-1918.
The congregation is small but faithful and very welcoming and friendly. Several regular attenders coming from outside the parish because "Harwood Dale has something special". Worship is "traditional" but relaxed and in the summer months there are a number of "specials".