This St. Botolph's Church, completed in 1897, is believed to be the most northerly of all his churches and was designed by the nationally famous architect, Temple Moore. It is built in Gothic style with local sandstone and cost £2,336.
The large stained glass east window is by Henry Payne, of Birmingham as are two memorial windows added after the 1st World War.
In the Churchyard is the stump of a stone cross commemorating a visit of St Botolph in 675.
By the 1870’s the old church at Carlton was in a terrible state and was often flooded when the pond at the rear overflowed. A mid-century chronicler, Ord, described the church as a beautiful, quaint building and a delight to worship in. The Rev. George Sanger came to Carlton and came to a church in desperate need of repair, and was faced with the challenge of building a new church, a task he took to heart, and a new church was built.
In 1882, the night before the dedication, the church burnt down and subsequently Sanger left. His successor Canon Kyle arrived to find a ruined church. He raised the necessary funding and built the present Church and in 1908, having raised a further £800, a peal of 8 bells was installed. He later became a Canon of York Minster, died in 1943 and is interred in the churchyard.
The church is still at the heart of the village and with the building of a new village hall, to replace the old Church Hall, remains committed to village life.
We look forward to welcoming visitors and parish residents, whatever their age, to our services in St. Botolph and the other churches of the Benefice.