Church of England Diocese of York West Rounton

About Us

St Lawrence’s probably dates from the 13th century and may have been built, in part, by lay workers from the Carthusian monastery at Mount Grace. In 1884, it was completely restored by Sir Lowthian Bell. The church contains two monumental reredos (c1700) from Newcastle Cathedral. There is an unusual carved Anglo-Saxon font depicting an archer (centaur?) and other symbols. On the north side there is evidence of an early doorway, now blocked. There is a splendid stained glass window depicting St Oswald, installed as a Millennium project in 2000. There are other interesting examples of stained glass in the East and West windows