Redundant and barely used for over thirty years, All Saints is now coming back to life, with increasing numbers of visitors from near and far, exhibitions, concerts and services.
This fine and important church was designed by G F Bodley and built 1863–70. The spire is a prominent Cambridge landmark, soaring above tower and chancel, but the majestic interior is notable for its unity of design, colour and ornament, largely to Bodley’s own designs. The painted wall and ceiling decorations of remarkable scale and beauty were executed by the Leach Studio, Morris &Co and others. Fine glass in the east window is by Morris & Co to designs by Burne-Jones, Ford Madox Brown and William Morris himself. The north aisle features three fine windows by C.E Kempe and Co (1891-1923) together with glass by Douglas Strachan. Fittings designed by Bodley include the alabaster font, the pulpit (conserved in 2007 with the help of funds donated by the the Kempe Society), and the oak aisle screen.