The Chapel of the Order of the Holy Paraclete is the private Chapel belonging to the Sisters of OHP. Guests, visitors and retreatants to OHP are welcome to join with us for the Daily Office and Eucharist.
The Order was founded in 1915, to run St Hilda's School, a boarding school for girls. Over time, the school and Order grew in number, and the work extended overseas, and has included teaching, nursing, midwifery, chaplaincy and spiritual direction. Following the closure of the school in 1997, the work for the Order has remained diverse. We currently have two houses in Ghana where Sisters work with a vocation school for the young women whose education has been interrupted and the Anglican Eye Clinic, which has recently been upgraded to Hospital status. In the UK, we are concentrated in Yorkshire and Teesside, with Sisters in York, Whitby and Redcar/Middlesbrough. Our retreat house in Sleights, St Oswald's, is about to see a new venture in conjunction with support from us and the Scargill Movement, creating a new, ecumencial community to continue the retreat work.Our contact details are on the "get in touch" link.
Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals may take place at the Chapel. Those eligible comprise members of the Tertiary Order (lay members of the Order of the Holy Paraclete); former members of St Hilda's School ("Old Girls"); and members of the regular Sunday Congregation. In addition those who have worked at the Priory or Centre long-term may be eligible. The Chapel is not normally available to anyone else; regulations apply for anyone else wishing to be considered, details may be obtained from the Order of the Holy Paraclete.