St Mary's Church in Barking is an historic building which was the Parish Church for Barking and Needham Market. St John the Baptist in Needham Market was built as a Chapel of Ease for Barking so that people could go to church without having to walk all the way to Barking. St. John's has been its own parish since about 1904. The Church of St Andrew, in the hamlet Darmsden, is closed as an Anglican (Church of England) church and is owned by an independent Trust. The churchyard is still open and under the care of the PCC of St. Mary's, Barking.