About Us

This secret and special place is tucked away in its lush churchyard, with lovely views eastwards towards the Deben.

St Ethelbert's Church dates mainly from the 15th century. It seats about 75 people, with an electoral roll of 47. The Church is open every day until dusk and the churchyard is noted for its brilliant display of snowdrops in the spring.

One of only 18 English churches dedicated to Ethelbert, the 8C King of the East Angles.

The humble 14C nave (encased in brick 1800-6) and porch, and the tiny brick apse (c.1845, replacing the long-lost chancel), are dominated by the glorious 15C tower, embellished with flint and stone ‘flushwork’ panelling and with a grand west doorway, by which we enter. Falkenham’s six bells are regularly and enthusiastically rung on a weekly practice night and before most of the church services.

Inside, angels peer down at us from the 500-year-old single-hammerbeam roof, whilst others carry shields in the 15C font (which was plastered over to fool the Puritan smashers-up). The little chamber-organ is a rare treasure of c.1750 and the reredos above the altar (given in 1936) incorporates what was once part of an exquisitely-carved 14C Flemish chest.