St Gregory’s is the Parish Church of Sudbury. In our centuries-old building the worship is “middle of the road”. We aim to love God and serve our community.
In addition to the Sunday and Weekday Services, the Bible Study Group and the Fellowship Group meet regularly, and other study groups and social events are held from time to time.
The church is open daily from 9am to 5pm (or dusk in midwinter). Toilets are only available at service times and special events. On Fridays coffee is served 10.30am-12noon – a time to chat, or just sit; a member of the ministry team will be present to talk or pray with you.
Churches Together in Sudbury and District is very active, and St Gregory’s joins with other churches in the town for prayer, worship and service to the community. See churchestogetherinsudbury.org.uk .
St Gregory’s is part of the world-wide Anglican Communion. It is in the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, with its cathedral at Bury St Edmunds and offices at Ipswich.
The three parishes of St Gregory’s and All Saint’s, Sudbury, and St Andrew’s, Great Cornard, form the Sudbury Group, and meet for joint services three times a year.
St Gregory’s supports a variety of home and overseas charities, including the Church Mission Society.
People of St Gregory’s work with others in the town to support Christian Aid.
There are two CEVC Church schools in the town: St Gregory’s & Tudor Primary schools.
There has been a church here from at least the 8th Century.
In 1375, Simon of Sudbury founded a college for training priests. Walnuttree Hospital now occupies the site, but an archway remains.
Simon went on to become Archbishop of Canterbury and Chancellor of England. He imposed the Poll Tax and was beheaded during the Peasants’ Revolt in 1381. His head is here; his body is in Canterbury Cathedral.
Inside the church, the beautifully decorated telescopic font cover dates from the 15th Century.
Other treasures include wall paintings, carvings, decorated ceilings, stained glass windows, misericords (tip-up seats in the choir stalls), and modern sculptures depicting the Stations of the Cross. Guide books are available for purchase near the door.
During 2014, legacies, donations, fund-raising and grants enabled improvements to the building including toilets (only available at service times and special events), a servery and re-furbished vestry.
There are two other Church of England church buildings in the parish: St Peter’s, on Market Hill, and St Mary’s, Chilton. Both are now in the care of The Churches Conservation Trust. Occasional services are held in each one. St Peter’s is used regularly for a variety of events, including Kettle & Fish where Churches Together provides refreshments and a Christian contact point most Thursdays.