About Us

Reading Minster is the original church in the town. In 979 Queen Elfrida, second wife of King Edgar, founded a royal nunnery on the Minster site as an act of repentence for the murder of her stepson, Edward (St Edward The Martyr) at Corfe Castle.

The Minster was extensively restored in 1551-55, using materials recovered from Reading's Norman abbey.