Welcome to the parish church of Linkinhorne: St Melor in the Anglican Diocese of Truro and county of Cornwall England.
The Parish Church dedicated to St Melor is dated from the 16th century although the south aisle is attributed to the 14th century.
The Norman font and the Celtic cord-work and mouldings on the outer arch of the south porch are examples to suggest a much earlier church on the site.
The north side of the church together with the tower was refurbished in 1891. The square tower (second only to Probus, also in the county of Cornwall) is 120 feet high and is built in four stages, buttressed and finished with battlements and crocketed pinnacles. The present set of six bells were recast in 1805 and re-hung in 1923.
Internally, the building is laid out in traditional form with a central nave and pews either side, chancel choir stalls and altar. There are two side aisles both with Chapel altars at the east end which are used from time to time for informal worship.
The windows are mostly glazed in plain cathedral glass with some memorial stained glass. one of which depicts our patron, St Melor.
Other ancient and notable artefacts within the building include a fine Elizabethan table used as a side-chapel altar, Elizabethan pews, and 14th century wall paintings (depicting “The Seven Works of Mercy"), a carved oak pulpit and lectern and a set of stocks, well presented, with holes for seven people, awaiting occupants in the porch!!
Holy Well - in a field below and to the South West of the church is St. Melor's well. A tiny 15th century granite building, complete except for the door (though the staples for the hinges remain)with a little niche for the saint above.
Visit our website for more information: www.callingtoncluster.org.uk