We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
Getting hereThe main features of this church indicate that it was built nearly 700years ago. The main doorways appear to be late 13th century, the Y tracery windows about 1300, and the flowing tracery early 14thcentury work. So we can speculate whether these were all part of one building programme, possibly spanning 50 years, or whether one dominant character achieved the rebuilding of the whole church, perhaps using more advanced styles in certain parts.
Just inside the door of the church lie a pair of tapered grave slabs(Fig. 1). They bear an omega sign and are made of Barnack stone. These have been attributed to just such a dominant character, namely Sir Hervey de Stanhoe (d.1297) and Isabel his wife. He was Sheriff of Norfolk (1259-61), and Keeper of the Laity in Norwich in 1272. So he could have started to build this church about 1280 and died before it was completed.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below