The quiet and small parish of Ridlington is situated about 2 miles inland from the coast and is made up of farmland, woodland and heathland.
The church, St Peter, is located on the Happisburgh to North Walsham road. It is a small medieval church with a grade 1 listed building status. The listed status is the result of an early C15th legacy of 1421 by Thomas Stacy, which left money for the tower and bells.
The nave is early C14th, whose roof and southern porch are Welsh slates with clay ridges.
The thatched chancel dates later in the C14th than the nave. Its roof is on medieval braces and is is one of the few surviving examples of thatched roofing using reed from the nearby Norfolk Broads.
The octagonal font, which stands on a circular column, appears to be early, possibly C13th.
The chancel's stained glass windows suffered irreparable damage due to a Zeppelin attack during WW1.
The church is home to pipistrelle bats, who “maternity roost” during June, July and August.
Services are held regularly on the first Sunday of each month at 3 pm – all are welcome and excellent refreshments are provided after the services to give time for a "chat" between munches!
The church is open every day, and at other times by arrangement, and is a great place for rest and reflection. Please help yourself to refreshments, which are provided just inside the church. Local walkers and cyclists on Route 30 of the National Cycle Network, which travels through the village, will find this a welcome and peaceful place to catch breath!