Saint John and Saint Barnabas is the Parish Church of Belle Isle and Hunslet. We are a church with worship in the catholic tradition of the Church of England. The life of the parish is centred round the Sunday Mass where we listen to the word of God in Sacred Scripture and celebrate the Sacraments of our new life in Jesus Christ.
Built in 1938 the church is contemporary with most of the surrounding housing in the neighbourhood and its dedication to Saint John and Saint Barnabas is taken from a church in the Holbeck area of South Leeds which was demolished during redevelopment of that area in the 1930's leading to the creation of the Belle Isle estate.
Our parish church is situated on Belle Isle Road close to junction 6 of the M621 and can also be reached easily from the centre of Leeds by bus 12, 13, 13a from the Corn Exchange.
Saint John and Saint Barnabas is a Forward in Faith Parish under the care of the Bishop of Wakefield, the episcopal visitor for the Diocese of Leeds, and is a member of The Society under the patronage of Saint Wilfrid and Saint Hilda. We uphold the Catholic faith as taught by the Apostles and as the Church of England teaches in its historic formularies. We work with the other Leeds parishes in this tradition: St Hilda, Cross Green and St Wilfrid, Harehills.
Parish Website: www.ssjbchurchleeds.org.uk