Church of England Diocese of Leeds Knaresborough, Goldsborough, Nidd and Brearton

About Us

Our church is one of the few in the diocese which uses the Prayer Book and the King James Bible almost exclusively. The pattern of worship is simple: always 10.30am, 1st and 3rd Sundays - Mattins, all others - Holy Communion. For Mattins we sing the canticles to familiar chants plus four hymns. For Communion we just sing four hymns. We have a two manual pipe organ in excellent condition. All singing, good and not so good, is much appreciated.

The church is not visible from the A61. The best way to it is to aim for Nidd Hall Hotel (signposted). Drive across the main entrance and swing left. The church is in front of you and parking is further round to the left. We usually enjoy tea and coffee in the church after each service but Nidd Hall Hotel is only 100 yards away (as are the toilets) and they serve also.

Access to the church is up four 9" steps with handrails. We have no wheelchair access  but can usually get wheelcahirs and their occupants into church one way or another. We have had plans for a wheelchair ramp drawn up but it would cost over £30,000 to build and disfigure the main view of the church. 

Nidd Church is one of the Knaresborough Team Ministry churches of which the Team Rector is the Rev.Garry Hinchcliffe.

The capacity of the church is about 120 and a typical congregation numbers about 35, with many guests visiting from the Hotel. We have recently installed an induction loop for the hard of hearing but otherwise no amplification. 

For all church details see

Details of the Grade 2 listed building.

1866 by Healey for Miss Rawson of Nidd Hall. Gritstone, graduated
grey slate roof. 4-bay nave with west tower of 3 stages, north aisle and
south porch; 2-bay chancel. Gothic arch to gabled porch; roll moulding and
hoodmould possibly C13. Nave windows of 3 cusped lights, chancel of 1 and 2
lights. Large buttresses; gable copings, cross finials. 3-light east
window with 2 quatrefoil and I trefoil opening under a hoodmould. The
north aisle has three 2-light and one 3-light window; the vestry has a
plain 4-light window. The west tower has angle buttresses up to bell stage,
gableted to top of first stage, paired lancets to west, narrow lancets on
each side to second stage and elaborate 2-light belfry openings with central
shaft in large pointed arch with attached shafts, hoodmould and pierced
quatrefoil and inner cusping to tympanum. Embattled parapets and crocketed
finials. Interior. The porch is lined in limestone ashlar and the inner
board door has 3-pronged hinges. 3 quatrefoil columns to the north aisle of
the nave which is floored, together with the chancel, with polychrome tiles.
The font in the base of the tower is circular with a deep rim band as is
from the earlier church as are several pieces of carved stone. The walls of
the church are very plain, unplastered; memorials are to the Rawson and
Butler (Mountgarret) families. The stained glass window in bay 2 of the
north aisle depicts the nativity with shepherds and is a memorial to Henry
Edmund the 13th Viscount Mountgarret of Nidd Hall (qv), who died in 1900.
It is probably the workmanship of Charles Kempe, as is the window in bay 4
which is a memorial to Elizabeth Rawson (d1900) and depicts the Madonna and
child flanked by Simeon and Psalmist.