Church of EnglandDiocese of LeedsLeeds Saint Aidan
A brief history of the church
The church was built between 1891 and 1894 and whilst its cost was originally estimated at £10,000 it finished up much nearer £20,000. The architects were Messrs Johnson and Crawford-Hicks of Newcastle. The first vicar was the Revd Samuel Mumford Taylor. The church opened on the13th of October, 1894 and was consecrated by the Bishop of Richmond. The centenary was celebrated in 1994 with a sermon by the Archbishop of York more than 700 were present.