The Old church at fell into disrepair and was deconsecrated so a new building was erected in the heart of the village in 1909. The church has many art nouveau features and was a revelation to the Dales at the time being contemporary. This is a haven of peace and a place of and for pilgrimage. It is maintained and loved by a faithful band of local worshippers and serves not only the village but also Raydaleside. St Matthews is a small building with a large heart that reaches out to all the Upper Wensleydale Community and Beyond.