St. Guthlac's Church, Stathern, is a Grade II* listed medieval building in north-east Leicestershire in the Vale of Belvoir, and is situated in a delightful setting within the conservation area of the village. It has been a focal point for Stathern for over 800 years, being consecrated in about AD 1200. Built of the local ironstone, and replacing a Norman church, it has had Peterhouse, Cambridge as its sole patron since 1530. There are also associations with the Dukes of Rutland of nearby Belvoir Castle.
Guthlac was born of a Saxon family in 674. As a young nobleman, he was a tearaway. Later he changed his ways and began a monastic life at Repton in Derbyshire, but later wished to live the life of a hermit. In 699 he travelled from Repton to Crowland in what was then the remote fens of Lincolnshire, probably passing through our village. For 15 years he lived a simple life in a cell, trying to draw nearer to God. His fame spread and many people rich and poor visited him for his teaching. On his death a chapel was built over his tomb and later the great Abbey of Croyland (Crowland) was built, part of which is still visible today.
Our church is open every day for private prayer and for visitors passing through Stathern. There are some appreciative comments in our visitors' book, such as 'It is a well-cared for and loved church', 'Beautiful' and 'Thank you for being open'. The church is well worth a visit! We are open daily usually from 9.00am - 4.00pm. There are free leaflets about the church available at our Communications Corner in the church