We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
St Paul's foundation stone was laid 5th Sept, 1853 by John Lonsdale, Bishop of Lichfield. The stone is set in the North wall of the Sanctuary. The church is a Grade 2 listed Victorian Church built of local sandstone,dedicated in and opened for service 1857. It is noted in "GENUKI, UK/Ireland Geneology" as the work of Ewan Christian. With timbered South porch, west bellcote, broad nave and lower narrower apsidal chancel, north east vestry, inside space subdivided with arcades into nave and aisles, Victorian tiled floor. The three lancet windows (Pevsner writes "St Paul's: an atractive piece of work not entirely routine) shows the saints St Stephen, Paul and John. The Lady Chapel was a gift from the Glennie Family with the window in the Choir being a Memorial to John Glennie (died 1903).
The organ is a Two-manual pedal organ by Hill & Son, London. Installed 1873, replacing an harmonium. It came from a large country house, obtained by Mrs.Glennie who was organist 1869-1903, it was restored in 1979. A list of organists from 1857 hangs on a pillar beside the organ.
A tiled plaque is inset in the floor to George Augustus Selwyn the First Bishop of New Zealand and the Ninethieth Bishop of Lichfield, Selwyn College Cambridge being named after him.
The village of Croxton is recorded in the Staffordshire Domesday survey of 1086 listed as CROCHESTONE, which is said to mean the town or place of the Cross. In 1837 a school room stood on the site now occupied by the church.
The church renovation was completed (March 2008): a Victorian Tiled floor replaced the existing rotten timber floor which allows the Heritage of the Churchs partly tiled floor to be complimented with a fully tiled Victorian style floor. Underfloor heating was installed to replace the existing radiator system (being less obtrusive and help protect the fabric of the church). New Pews and Seating installed to replace the beetle infested pews, allowing greater flexibility within the church creating space for use by the wider public activities such as Concerts and incorporating an Exibition Area dedicated to the Heritage of the Church and Village together with that of the Local Organisations. The existing kitchen and toilet block was added to to create an hospitality suite within the church. The Church was re-dedicated at a Special service by the Archdeacon of Stoke-on-Trent on the 8th June 2008.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below