This is a beautiful little country church very popular for weddings and baptisms. The churchyard has won numerous awards for its tidiness and environmental presentation.
The church began life in 1808 when it was decided that holy Trinity should be demolished because it was in need of considerable repair. After much discussion it was decided that the new chuch should be in the village of Walton to be accessible to all parish inhabitants. It was completed in 1842 at a cost of £957 to include the tower and spire and dedicated to St Thomas the Apostle as a Chapel of Ease on 22 December 1842.
On May 9 1845 the spire was struck be lightening and part detroyed along with shattered glass in the windows and roof damage. Repairs were carried out but in 1903 the building was considered unsafe. The lead covering and the weather cock were replaced by lighter equivalents. The herring bone fashion of the light lead cladding is a notable feature of the church on the hill.
The latest modifications were carried out in 1982 to improve faciltities for social events and meetings. The South Transept is now used as a meeting room and a small extension houses the kitchen and toilets.
The new Vicar, Fr Graham Adamson, arrived in August 2017, and he works together with the associate priest, Reverend Joy Bishop. Fr Graham and Reverend Joy can be contacted either through the Parish Office, or by using the contact details on either this site or the Parish website.