A history of the churchSt. Bartholomew, Blore Ray (Staffordshire)
Built around the year 1100, on the site of an earlier building,
St. Bartholomew's, Blore Ray sits high on a hill-side above the confluence of the Dove and Manifold rivers in one of the most beautiful parts of Staffordshire.
Features from various architectural periods can be seen at Blore. Some Norman work survives in the nave, whilst the tower and chancel are 14th Century. The arch leading into the tower is Early English and some of the windows date from the Geometric and Decorated periods. Tudor work is represented by the font, nave pews, chancel choirstalls and screen. There are Jacobean box pews, altar, communion rails, pulpit and reading desk.
In a side chapel lies the Bassett tomb, splendidly sculptured in alabaster by Jasper Hollemans and erected between 1618 and 1640. It contains the remains of members of the Bassett family of Blore Hall whose descendants include Her Majesty the Queen and His Royal Highness Prince Richard of Gloucester.
Also of interest are fragments of mediaeval painted glass dating from c.1510 depicting St. Anne teaching the Blessed Virgin to read and also various shields depicting the arms of local families.
The effects of the Reformation can be seen in the dismantled 14th Century stoup in the porch, a divided stone altar, the sawn stumps of a rood screen, a partially concealed squint and a decapitated 15th Century brass memorial.
Daily throughout the year, 10am to dusk.