Wall is a small village just south of Lichfield. It lies on the site of the Roman settlement of Letocetum. The parish includes the small villages of Pipehill, Hilton, Chesterfield and the tiny hamlet of Aldershawe, which is about half a mile north of the village of Wall.
The church was built in 1837 and in 1843 was consecrated as the Parish Church of St John. The church's architects were Moffat and Sir Gilbert Scott.