The first written record of St. Bartholomew's was in 1223, on the site of the present 18th century church. Visitors may be confused when first entering the building because the upper windows seen from outside are not visible inside! This is due to a false ceiling being installed in 1948 as part of the restoration. This Grade ll* listed church has a magnificent Norman font, a 19th century pulpit and a contemporary sculpture of St. Bertram. A gallery is now used as a meeting room.
In the churchyard is the grave of William Billinge. He was born in a cornfield in 1679 and died not a hundred yards from there, 112 years later. He enlisted into the service of his country in 1704 and his remarkable service record may be seen on his gravestone in the old churchyard.
There is a Commonwealth War Grave, from the second world war, in the new churchyard.